The most important items you can pack in your suitcase are those that help us know you and your culture better! OCC encourages you to bring:
- Traditional clothing items
- Musical instruments
- Photos of your family and your hometown
- Photos of you as a baby or young child
- Any small trinkets, artifacts or gifts that you may want to share with others
What Else You Should Bring From Home:
- Prescription and other medicines or personal hygiene products you use regularly
- Appropriate clothing -- it is hot in Joplin in August (if arriving for the fall semester) and very cold in January (if arriving in the spring)
- Good walking shoes
- Laptop computer, if you own one
- Translator (if needed) and batteries -- they may be difficult to find here.
- Converters for any electronic items you bring -- you will need this to use your laptops, etc.
What You Can Buy When You Arrive:
- One sheet set (fitted and flat sheets)
- Bath towel and washcloth
- Enough soap and shampoo to last until you can buy more
- Ethernet card and cable
- Alarm clock
- Desk lamp
- Phone cards
- Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, shaving gel, perfume
- School supplies such as notebooks, paper, pens, stapler
- Laundry basket, detergent, clothes hangers, etc.
- Extra clothing
These are merely suggestions. Please feel free to contact OCC by e-mail at admissions@OCC.edu.