Ozark Christian College
Ozark Christian College is a focused Bible college in southwest Missouri.
|Church/Organization Employee||Average Attendance||Location|
|Ozark Christian College||600-700||Joplin, Missouri United States|
mail [email protected]
|Position Category||Position Title||Position Type||Weekly Hours|
|Christian School||OCC Director of Intercultural Studies Department||Paid Full-Time||N/A|
Position Title: Director of the Intercultural Studies Department
Reports to: Executive Vice President of Academics
The Director of the Intercultural Studies Department leads the Intercultural Studies program of the college. This leadership includes classroom duties, execution of department event activities, and general program oversight. The director networks extensively with mission agencies, churches, and alumni both domestically as well as around the world.
B. Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach 20 hours per academic year
- Collaborate with the EVP of Academics in hiring faculty (adjunct and otherwise) within the program
- Manage the program budget
- Submit annual department strategic plan to the EVP of Academics
- Recruit prospective students into the program through on- and off-campus activities and events
- Provide academic advising to students enrolled in the program (and/or coordinate with those who are doing advising in the program)
- Coordinate with the Academics Office regarding the scheduling of courses and faculty assignments for the major program along with changes in course requirements
- Provide regular program review
- Articulate and measure (through assessment activities) Major Learning Outcomes. An annual assessment report and review will be submitted to the Assistant Academic Dean’s office each May
- Engage in Faculty Service up to twice a month during the school year and serve at least three weeks during the summer in order to bless and maintain a close relationship with the church, model Christian service, and recruit future students. (Acceptable equivalence may be determined in consultation with the EVP of Academics.)
- Submit the offering to the college from faculty service trips for reimbursement and remuneration
- Accept committee assignments, complete student learning assessments, and perform other special responsibilities
- Post and maintain hours available for student consultation
- Affirm agreement with and sign the Statement of Faith
- Abide by all of the policies and procedures in the OCC Personnel Handbook and Faculty Handbook
C. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge: The Director of the Intercultural Studies Department is required to teach and oversee the department and as such needs to have a graduate degree in the field of intercultural studies, missions or a discipline that is closely related. As the leader of the Department, it is also important that the Director stays up to date concerning developments in the wider world of missions and related fields.
Skills and Abilities: The following is a list of important skills and abilities for this position:
- Experience in the field: The leader of this department must have previously lived cross-culturally and be actively functioning in the world of missions. This type of previous cross-cultural service can be foreign or domestic.
- Passion for missions: Leading in this particular area will require more than knowledge and the ability to disseminate that information. It is critical that the leader be a person deeply and personally committed to the advancement of the kingdom of God around the world.
- Excellence in teaching: Inspirational education processes are a hallmark of the Ozark tradition, this is especially true in the department of Intercultural Studies. Clear communication that moves students to action as well as motivating them to learn is a critical job component.
- Networking: The Intercultural Studies Department connects students with opportunities for service by working closely with existing mission agencies and related organizations. In addition, it is important that the Intercultural Studies leadership communicates regularly with graduates that are actively serving on the field. Other networking needs are in the area of event coordination and program execution such as the Visiting Intercultural Professor program, Global Awareness Week, chapel offering oversight, etc.
- Travel: This position involves a significant amount of travel both internationally and domestically. The ability and willingness to travel to the field is an important element of the position.
- Leadership skills: The director needs to be able and willing to lead this department, especially in the area of team building. The oversight of volunteers and staff means effective and clear day to day communication.
- Visionary: A significant level of visionary leadership is important to this position. The Intercultural Studies Department will continue to grow and change and a clarity of vision as well as a capable articulation of that vision is needed for the department itself as well as for the college.
- Pastoral: Because of the global nature of this position, the director should be able to function well in the area of giving counsel and advice to students that are seeking this career path. This pastoral care extends to field selection as well as the shepherding of needed character qualities and relational skills on the part of the students in the program.
Number of Employees Supervised
- Directly: 3 (The administrative assistant for the department and two faculty members that teach courses in the department.)
- Indirectly: 2 to 3 (Two to three students that function as student graders and are directly supervised by the Intercultural Studies Department administrative assistant. Other related supervision: Visiting Intercultural Professor program; adjunct professors functioning within the program.)
- Total: 5 plus adjunct professors
E. Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
Ozark Christian College seeks faculty members who have had experience in ministry as well as an earned graduate degree with at least 18 hours in the area of their teaching. To meet the minimum qualification to teach in the area of professional studies, at least seven years of experience may be considered in lieu of an earned graduate degree. Because we are training men and women for Christian service we need leaders who are fulfilled and effective in Christian service. We produce after our kind.
We seek men and women who believe in New Testament Christianity and are actively worshiping and serving in a local congregation and whose moral and personal life is above reproach.
F. Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Any environmental demands would be those common to normal teaching duties in the classroom as well as typical office activity. This would include light lifting and activities that are not strenuous in nature.
To apply for this full-time position, submit a CV, cover letter, and the OCC employment application to [email protected] Accepting applications until the position is filled. No walk-in applicants.