Music and the visual arts are a universal language that enable us to speak with one voice to God and to one another in transforming ways. Leading the church in worship requires musical skill, theological depth, personal conviction, and pastoral wisdom. OCC is a great place to prepare for the influential role of worship leader. As you earn this degree, you will improve your skill at singing and playing an instrument, work with creative teams in planning worship services, gain experience with digital audio and video equipment and explore the biblical and historical foundations of worship.
General Degree Requirements
- Entrance Audition. The music faculty must audition all prospective majors before the student begins his degree program. All candidates are on probationary status from one to four semesters or are accepted as full candidates for the degree.
- Entrance Interview. The music faculty must interview all music majors during their first semester. This interview will assess the student’s goals.
- Music Theory Placement Test. This test is required of all prospective music majors. Failure to pass will result in enrollment in Basics of Music Theory as a prerequisite to Music Theory I.
- Large Ensemble Participation. All BAMW students are required to participate in at least four semesters of concert choir.
- Juries. All BAMW students are required to perform before the music faculty at the end of each semester. Repertoire will be chosen from the student’s applied lessons.
- Faculty Review. After completion of four semesters towards the BAMW degree, each student will meet with the music faculty in a program review. The music faculty reserves the right to recommend a change of major or concentration at this time.
Degree courses include
- Voice, Guitar, and Piano Lessons
- Music Theory and Skills
- Choir and Chapel Worship Teams
- Music History and Appreciation
- Foundations for Christian Worship
- Foundations for Creative Arts Ministry
- Strategies for Worship Leadership
- Issues in Worship Leadership
- Advanced Audio and Video Courses
Possible jobs with this degree
Worship leader, creative arts director, children and youth worship pastor, technical director, teacher, composer, performer