Why is it called the Seth Wilson Library?
The Seth Wilson Library is named after OCC’s founding academic dean, Seth Wilson (1914-2006).
Who can check out library items?
Affiliates of OCC (students, faculty, and staff), local ministers, and adults within a 60-mile radius of the college (registered members) have borrowing privileges. Any alumni or ministers may receive a Library card free of charge. Others will be charged a one-time, lifetime fee of $5.00 (or for lost cards) in order to borrow Library items.
How can I check out library materials?
You may check books out on your Library account in person by coming to the library. Public patrons, who are not enrolled as students at OCC, will need to apply for a guest Library card. You may also renew or put Library items on reserve in person, online, or over the phone.
Regular books in our general collection are available for two weeks. You may renew twice before checking books back into the collection. (If a patron has placed a hold on your book, you will need to return your book.)
A-V materials may be checked out for one week. Equipment is available for three days or under special arrangement with the A-V Supervisor.
What are the library hours?
During school sessions, we are open Mondays 8:00 am to 9:30 pm; Tuesdays through Thursdays 6:50 am to 9:30 pm (closed from 10:00 am till 11:15 am for chapel); Fridays 6:50 am to 6:00 pm; Saturdays 9:00 am to 6:00 pm; Sundays 2:00 to 5:00 pm.
The Audio-Visual Department is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Hours are posted for special sessions in the winter and summer between regular school years. Signs will also be posted at the Library for schedule changes. If you have questions whether the library is open or closed simply call the circulation desk at 417-626-1234 Ext. 2700.
How many items can I check out?
Faculty and students may check out up to twenty-five books at a time [up to five (5) A-V items].
As a new patron, you may check out two (2) items the first visit. On subsequent visits, you may check out up to ten (10) items.
Do you charge late fees?
- You incur 20 cents per day late fees for books in the general collection.
- You incur 20 cents per hour late fees for reference and reserve items.
- You incur one dollar per day late fees for periodicals.
- You incur 50 cents to one dollar late fees for A-V materials.
Can I check out audio-visual equipment?
Yes, to name a few, you may check out video projectors, over-head projectors, screens, video cameras, audio cassette/CD/ record players, puppets, tripods, headphones, projector stands, electric cords—three days at a time or under special arrangement with the A-V Supervisor. Use of A-V equipment by non-OCC patrons are subject to a rental charge (i.e., $75.00 per rental plus refundable $25.00 deposit).
How many items do you have in the library collection?
We have more than 70,000 books and 23,000 A-V materials. These figures fluctuate due both to the weeding process and acquisition of new materials.
What about inter-library loans?
We offer inter-library loan service to our faculty, staff, and students only. We need as much lead time as possible in order to request materials and to allow enough time to receive them when they are needed. One to two weeks lead time is needed for books. Journal articles usually can be expected within a week.
Do you have meeting rooms available to patrons?
We have limited number of rooms available for study groups or viewing of A-V materials. Please call the circulation desk to inquire about availability. Rooms must be reserved on the Library log.
Are there any restrictions for use of the library?
- We expect the courtesy of a quiet atmosphere so that others may study.
- Please, no food or drink, except for water with lid in the Library.
- Please let our Library staff know of special needs for wheel chair access to our elevator or other accommodations needed.
- We ask that cell phones only be used in the lobby area.
- We ask that patrons allow Library staff to put items back on shelves.
- We ask that parents or guardians closely supervise their children while visiting the Library (see our policy statement in the Library Handbook).
- We ask that students follow the dress code in the Student Life Handbook.