Back to previous page
Here is your degree.
BMW - MUSIC AND WORSHIP
The Bachelor of Music and Worship degree is a four-year program of study that equips students to be worship leaders in the local church. It also provides training in additional areas of ministry in the total program of the church.
Download the PDF for this degree to see full details including the recommended course of study (schedule).
1. Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of the Bible.
2. Demonstrate competencies in exegesis and communication skills in the production of sermons, lessons, and papers.
3. Articulate a presentation of the gospel to lead someone to Christ.
4. Express Christian worldview that interfaces with contemporary cultural issues.
5. Demonstrate leadership and equipping skills for the church.
6. Articulate a philosophy of worship that is biblical and sensitive to changing styles and valued traditions.
7. Demonstrate competence in planning and leading worship services, assisting in a broad range of ministry in the church, and giving evidence of adequate skill in a chosen instrument (voice, keyboard, or guitar).
48 hours of Biblical Studies
37 hours of General Studies
54 hours of Professional Studies (including 39 hours in Music/Worship)
1. Entrance Audition. The music faculty musi audition all prospective majors before the student begins his/her degree program. All candidates are on probationary status from one to four semesters or are accepted as full candidates for the degree.
2. Entrance Interview. The music faculty must interview all music majors during their first semester. This interview will assess the student's goals.
3. Music Theory Placement Test. This test is required of all prospective music majors. Failure to pass will result in enrollment in Basics of Music Theory as a prerequisite to Theory 1.
4. Piano Proficiency Exam. Students with little or no piano background may enroll in Piano Proficiency Class to achieve required proficiency levels.
5. Voice Proficiency Exam. Students musi pass this exam with a keyboard concentration at the end of four semesters in the program.
6. Guitar Proficiency Exam. Students with a voice or piano concentration must pass this exam at the end of four semesters in the program.
7. Large Ensemble Participation. All BMW students are required to participate in at least four semesters of choir.
8. Recitals. All BMW students are required to participate in a recital each semester they are enrolled in private lessons.
9. Recital Attendance. All BMW students are required to enroll in Recital Attendance each semester of primary applied lessons. Grading is pass/fail.
10. Juries. All BMW students are required to perform before the music faculty at the end of each semester of primary applied lessons.
11. Faculty Review. After completion of four semesters towards the BMW degree, each student will meet with the music faculty in a program review. The music faculty reserves the right to recommend a change of major or concentration at this time.
12. Music Ministry Internship or Field Experience. A semester internship will be granted 4 hours of credit.