Helpful Information in the Event of Inclement Weather
We are concerned for the safety and well being of the entire college family in conditions of inclement weather. When there are predictions of winter storms we do our best to prepare and then monitor the developments to respond appropriately.
In the event conditions result in a modification of normal operations, please be aware of the following:
MEANS OF NOTIFICATION
- Check local television channels and/or listen to local radio stations for notifications.
- Television Channels: KOAM-TV (7), KODE-TV (12), KFJX-TV (14), KSNF-TV (16)
- Radio Station: KZRG (1310 AM). Other local media will be used if possible.
- Check the OCC Homepage www.OCC.edu
- OCC Emergency Message Alerts (text and email powered by Nixle). Sign up here
- Classes Canceled – This means classes will be canceled for the entire day and evening, unless specified otherwise. Offices remain open.
- Campus Closed – This means classes will be canceled and offices will be closed for the entire day and evening, unless specified otherwise. Employees that work on crews that treat campus roadways and walks in inclement weather need to check with supervisors for instructions. Employees in food service need to check with the cafeteria manager for instructions.
Of course, all of us recognize that predicting the weather or even monitoring the conditions is not an exact science. In addition, there are different situations for various individual commuters, depending on where they live.
In view of this, we do not want any commuters (students or workers) to attempt to traverse the roads if they are uncomfortable with the level of safety. During inclement weather, if any commuters (students or workers) are in a situation that he or she do not feel he or she can safely travel to campus, he or she should not feel compelled to do so. If anyone is in a situation that requires he or she go home, he or she should feel free to do so. In such circumstances, workers can communicate directly with their departmental leadership and students will need to communicate directly with their professors. We want everyone to exercise their best judgment to be safe, given their particular situation. Please be aware of this and feel free to communicate this to any others that may have questions or concerns.