The following is a general list of items that will hopefully be helpful as you prepare for arrival to Ozark Christian College. If you have further questions or concerns, please email the international student advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (001) (417) 626-1234.
- Obtain a Student Visa
After receiving your I-20 (F-1 students), schedule an appointment with the US Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over your place of residence. For details on preparing for the visa interview and paying the SEVIS I-901 Fee, see the SEVIS/Visa Information page.
- Airline TicketsOnce you have received your student visa, purchase your airline tickets and send the complete details to email@example.com.
Consult your airline for their luggage requirements. Typically, two pieces of luggage are allowed: each less than 50 pounds (23 kg) and not exceeding a linear dimension (length + width + height) of 62 inches (163cm). Additional pieces may be allowed at an additional cost.
- Health MattersHealth care in the US is very expensive. Before you leave your country, you should visit a doctor for a medical check-up, update all immunizations, get at least a 2-month supply of any needed medicine, purchase new eye glasses and consider a dental check-up. Though international students are required to purchase major medical insurance, the coverage is for severe health problems.
- Required FormsAll OCC students are required to review and submit OCC health forms. On-campus residents must also complete the residency agreement and roommate preference forms. All forms are available on the OCC website under Admissions Forms.
- HousingMake certain you have made arrangements for housing.
- Money MattersBe prepared to pay in full for the cost of the semester at OCC as soon as you arrive. If you plan to pay with a credit card, make certain that your balance and one-time purchase limit are high enough to pay in full. Even though we will be happy to assist you in setting up a bank account your first day or two, it is not recommended that you bring large amounts of cash with you. Instead, consider purchasing travelers checks in US dollars before you leave home.
- Personal ItemsRemember to bring items from home that you need or that will make you feel comfortable in your new environment. Suggestions include an initial supply of personal hygiene products, photos or artifacts from home, traditional clothing to wear at special events, and snacks, seasonings, herbal medicines and other items that may not be available in Joplin, Missouri (for food and medicines, be aware of customs restrictions (see the US Customs and Border Protection web site).
- ElectronicsBring adapter plugs that accommodate US power outlets. Make sure your laptop has its own multi-voltage transformer/converter.
- Confirm your airline tickets 48 hours before your departure and inform the Admissions Office at OCC of any changes.
- Confirm the name of the person picking you up at the airport and decide on a meeting place.
- Carry all important documents (ex: passport, I-20 (or DS-2019) health forms, birth certificate, national ID card, etc.) with you in your carry-on luggage.
- Carry OCC contact information with you in case of an emergency or flight delay.
- Bring updated transcripts for courses recently taken.
- Bring important phone numbers and addresses (home country and US).